Sunday, July 3, 2011

So those recipes...

Ok so I thought I would do these in the order of my favorites but I can't decide which one would be first so I'm just doing them in random order.

This is a Chipotle Turkey Burger. It wasn't a recipe we found anywhere, just something we came up with. We took 1 lb of ground turkey (not fat free, it bbq's too dry) then added an egg, maybe a cup and a half of fresh bread crumbs, maybe a third of a cup of dijon mustard, dried minced onion ( I add alot because it adds so much flavor) and some salt and pepper. We just bbq'd the patties on the grill and then my husband mixed a little adobo sauce with some mayo and we added a slice of provolone cheese and tomatoes. It was pretty dang good. I can't tell you what is on the shrimp because my husband created that rub but it was maybe some citrusy rub and then he bbq'd those too. Very tasty! Dont forget to use whole wheat buns!
If some one pointed a gun to my head and made me pick a favorite out of this list, the stuffed portobello mushrooms would be at the top of my list. So divine.
1 small yellow sweet pepper, cut in bite size strips
1 small red onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 carrot, coarsely shredded
1 stalk of celery thinly sliced (I did not use celery because I think its gross)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 to 3 TB of olive oil
1 TB snipped fresh basil
1 TB lemon juice
1 5 ounce package baby spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
4 4 to 5 inch portobello mushroom caps stems and gills removed
4 slices provolone cheese
pre-heat oven to 425. Line 15x10 pan with foil. In a 12 inch skillet cook and stir sweet pepper, onion, zucchini, carrot, celery(yuck), garlic in olive oil on medium high heat for about 4 minutes. Stir in basil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Top with spinach and cover. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat. Stir in crumbs and half of the parmesan cheese. Set mixture aside. Arrange mushrooms on pan and top with a slice of provolone cheese. Divide the mixture onto each mushroom. Bake for 15 minutes then top with rest of parmesan cheese and cook for 2 more minutes. I'm telling you, divine.
This was probably not a favorite for my husband because he likes flashy meals and this was rather plain but I liked it. It calls for Fontina cheese which I could not find but maybe it adds a little oomph that my husband was looking for. I might try it with sundried tomatoes next time. You can find the recipe HERE.
This has been one of my favorite lunches. Its a BLT salad and its quick to make and even my two year old eats it like crazy. The dressing is my favorite part. You can find this recipe HERE.
This is something that I saw on the Eating Well website then I just let my husband run free with it. We took 1 lb ground turkey, 1 zucchini chopped, 1 can water chestnuts, chopped( I'm not sure if they come chopped, I think we always chop them) 1 can bamboo shoots chopped, 2 teaspoons powdered ginger, a few tablespoons of soy sauce and a few table spoons of Hoisin sauce (its our new favorite thing) salt and pepper to taste and maybe a little hot sauce if you want a kick. Cook the ground turkey then throw in everything else and cook until the zucchini is cooked all the way through. I hope I'm remembering everything on this recipe because I'm not the one who makes it, my talented husband does. You can slice some green onions as a little garnish and then wrap it all up in a lettuce leaf. We ate this for mothers day because my mom really liked it.
This last one was also a little made up magic. We called it southwest pizza. We made some pizza dough ( I suggest whole wheat pizza dough but my husband isn't a fan so we made white flour pizza dough) Then we topped it with a homemade pizza sauce with tomato sauce garlic powder and dried minced onion and some adobo sauce to taste to add that smokey kick. We topped that with black beans and corn and chopped onion and some Monterey jack cheese. Then when it came out of the oven we sliced some avocado and added it to the pizza. It was really good, not much to it though.
I have a few other recipes that I haven't taken pictures of or I can't remember what recipes they are but I have pictures of them. This is a good start though.

4 comments:

Ashley C said...

Wow, good job! They look delish! I don't cook very often, let alone healthy stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! They look great and sound even better!

Do you mind if I copy them and save them for my own recipe box?

I'd love to share your turkey burger with a group I'm in, if that is ok and I connect it with you?

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Of course! All the recipes I try or make up are for anyone to use. I put them on here to share them. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! We have a biggest loser type competition going and I know some of us are just burned out on same old, same old :[ This should get them cooking again!