Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not just dinner

So what I have discovered on this road of weight loss is that you are not just supposed to eat healthy at dinner but ALL DAY! Unbelievable! So I have been on the look out for recipes for breakfast and lunch. I have a small collection of breakfast recipes that I am starting to try. First I tried scrambled eggs rancheros and I'm sure it would have been tasty if I hadnt burnt the eggs. The kids make me burn thing, I swear I'm not a bad cook. Here is the recipe:

Scrambled Eggs Rancheros

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons part-skim mozzarella
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon extra light olive oil
  • 8 tablespoons tomato salsa
  • 1 slice whole-wheat toast
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional)

PREPARATION

  1. Combine egg whites, whole egg, beans, cheese, onion, salt, pepper and paprika in a bowl. Warm oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook without stirring until eggs begin to set, 2 to 3 minutes. Top with salsa; cover and cook until egg is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer toast to a plate and top with eggs; garnish with cilantro, if desired.

The skinny

363 calories per serving, 12.7 g fat (3.7 g saturated), 37.7 g carbs, 7.4 g fiber, 25.2 g protein


This morning I tried Pumpkin Muesli which wasnt too bad. Next time I will try it with Vanilla yogurt instead of plain and I added some spices to the pumpkin puree like cinnamon and ground cloves. Here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Muesli

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 sliced fresh strawberry
  • 2 tablespoons slivered almonds

PREPARATION

  1. Combine pumpkin and oats in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 20 seconds; set aside 10 minutes (so liquid will be absorbed). Mix yogurt, honey and zest in another bowl. Swirl in pumpkin mixture and top with berries and almonds.

The skinny

377 calories per serving, 8.5 g fat (1 g saturated), 66.8 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 12.4 g protein


Tell me what you think and any ideas you have to spice them up. I'll post more as I try them.



No comments: