Friday, August 26, 2011

Chicken Salad first try

So I attended a back to school lunch today with a few friends where we learned about healthy eating and foods to avoid and where we learned more about Juice Plus+. We were supposed to bring something to eat and the only thing I could think of was Chicken Salad but I have never made it before. I don't know why I wanted to make some so badly but I thought I would give it a try. Here's what I did:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
two stalks of celery chopped ( I like it small)
Half of large red onion chopped
12-15 red grapes chopped
Minced onion
dried sage
Olive oil low fat Mayo
In a large pot I added water enough to cover 4 chicken breasts, and I added maybe a tablespoon of Sage and two table spoons of dried minced onion. I didn't measure I just shook like crazy into the water. I added maybe a teaspoon or two of salt to the water. When water starts boiling add chicken breasts. Boil chicken for 10-12 minutes.
While chicken boils chop other ingredients.
when chicken is done, remove from water but do not dispose of water. Let chicken cool a little then cube into small pieces. Put chicken into a bowl and add other chopped ingredients. Add maybe 4 Tablespoons of Mayo or just enough to coat all ingredients after stirring. Add a small amount of the chicken broth from the pot into the mixture to make it moist to add more of that chicken flavor.
Cool in refrigerator or serve immediately(like I did because I ran out of time to cool it) Serve by itself or on whole wheat bread or rolls.
I really like it and I am usually not a fan of Chicken Salad.

No comments: