Saturday, July 23, 2011

Questions for Facebook friends

This week I have declined in distance in my running. I ran 2.6 on Monday and 2.4 on Tuesday and today I ran 2.2. My excuses for not going very far on Monday and Tuesday were because of time. I woke up late because my two year old was up more than once the night before. For some reason that makes me drag in the morning. So I got up later than I had planned and needed to get home so my husband could get to work. Today was so hot and I was also very tired. I have been using Map my Run app on my phone when I run which tracks my time and route, so when I get home I can calculate my pace. I have never really been concerned about my pace but its interesting to look at. So as I've seen the different runs I have done this week, I noticed that that even though my distance has been shorter (not by much I guess) my pace has improved. So I kind of got excited that I was running faster but then I wondered, should I be excited? Should be running longer or faster? So I questioned my friends on facebook and this is what they said:
  • Pamela Nguyen I say faster because after a certain point in running you body stops burning calories but that's just my 2 cents lol
    7 hours ago ·
  • Katy Allred Nichols Longer!
    7 hours ago ·
  • Alison Randall Moreno This week I went from 2.6 to 2.4 to 2.2 but my pace has increased each time. My excuse for it being less today is because its frickin hot.
    7 hours ago ·
  • Jeremiah Malich it all depends on what you're training for. Which reminds me, I'm going to do this. It looks awesome! you should think about it too. http://toughmudder.com/eve​nts/socal-2012/
    toughmudder.com
    Tough Mudder SoCal Sat Feb 25 & Sun Feb 26, 2012, Vail Lake Resort Updates
    7 hours ago · ·
  • Larissa Taylor You burn the same amount of calories if you walk three miles or run three miles... The difference is, the time you finish in. I say you're doing awesome regardless!
    7 hours ago ·
  • Alison Randall Moreno I don't think I can do that Jeremiah, it says be running 5-7 miles 3-4 times a week and 6 pull ups. I can't even do one pull up. Maybe next year. That looks rough. Thanks Larissa!
    7 hours ago ·
  • Jeremiah Malich yeah it does look really tough. The neat thing is that it is yearly and there are 2 in California each year. I was thinking about doing the Nor Cal on this Sept., but i think i would die so i'm going to push it back to the So Cal one in Feb.
    6 hours ago ·
  • Alison Randall Moreno Yeah, I would definitely need to work more on my upper body strength. I'm working on it now but I don't think I would be there by this year.
    6 hours ago ·
  • Jami McAllister Larsen Distance first - then increase speed
    6 hours ago ·
  • Karrie Sorensen Bunting What jami said.
    6 hours ago ·
  • Rick Watson I say, run longer and faster. That way you get the best of both and quit being a sissy :). I say this while sitting Eating doughnut and watch Dragon Ball Z.
    6 hours ago ·
  • Alison Randall Moreno Nice Rick.
    5 hours ago ·
  • Shelley Moreno Well if you increase your pace you burn more calories from fat, so if you go less distance but a faster pace it is actually better for you! There are three ways to burn more calories, increase distance, increase frequency, or increase pace.
    4 hours ago ·
  • Paloma Rivera First, assess what your goals are and why you run.
    3 hours ago ·
  • Alison Randall Moreno Mostly weight loss and health. Im not too concerned with how fast I go, however I don't want it to take all day to run 3 miles. I eventually want to be able to run a 10k.
    3 hours ago ·
  • Paloma Rivera Go with distance and then work on speed.
    3 hours ago ·
  • Julie Olson it all depends on your heart rate. you can find a target heart rate for fat burning calculator online and figure out where yours should be. if you don't hit it or go too high over it doesn't matter how fast or how long you run!
    2 hours ago ·
  • Carlos Casamalhuapa Another way to think about it is by intensity. For weight loss, keeping your intensity at a moderate level for a longer period of time (e.g., distance running) will allow you to burn fat. Moving it to high intensity (e.g., running fast) will actually force you to burn sugar because not enough oxygen will be delivered to the fast, contracting muscle, and oxygen is required to burn fat but not sugar. To keep it simple, keeping a moderate level of intensity for a longer period of time will promote weight loss from the burning of fat. But that is not to say you shouldn't run fast. In fact, feel free to mix it up to your enjoyment. Just keep in mind your goals and remember that whatever you choose as an exercise should be fun! And if you get board, try another form of exercise.
So if you were ever wondering like I was this morning here are some ideas. The last one is from someone in Med-school. And the rest are runners, new to running and old pro's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know how helpful this was?? I actually bought a runner's world magazine that a friend recommended for beginning runners. Beginning is 2 miles on one day, I thought they were insane! Keep up the great work Schmalison!!