Monday, May 11, 2009

The good and the bad

Well we took a road trip to Disneyland and in retrospect I have discovered something else I need to work on. I still need to eat healthy even on road trips! We ate when we got to the hotel, pizza. But I think I did ok, I only had 2 pieces which is good portion control, but the fact that it was pizza makes me feel like I didnt do a very good job.

When we got into Disneyland I think I did well, for lunch instead of getting a burger or fried french fries I got a turkey sandwich on Focaccia bread and as a side, apples. We drank a lot of water that day, mostly because if we didnt we were going to pass out from the heat but I didnt buy any churros or chocolate covered anything.

On the way home we did stop at Jack-in-the-Box for dinner and I got a hamburger with fries. Not a good idea since I was going to be sitting in a car for the next two hours and not doing anything to work it off. I do feel better knowing that we were walking for most of the day and I was carrying a 16lb baby around the park.

I havent updated my recipe for the day because I wanted to post this recipe I got from epicurious.com. Its Penne with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and baby arugula. The only real fattening part about this meal is its made with a type of bacon and you are supposed to make it with heavy cream. I did use the bacon which in the future I probably wont which will make it a good vegitarian meal and I used whole milk instead of heavy cream. It was really yummy, and I dont think I have ever used arugula before. It was actually arugula and spinach mixed. I didnt use as much parmesean as it asked for and it was still really good. And there was enough left over for Jesús to take to work. I think this meal was a 4 Star meal!! Go HERE for the recipe.
A picture of the finished product
Tip for today:
I’ll Have a Small, Please
Never order anything larger than a “small.” This goes for sodas, movie theater popcorn,
ice cream cones, fries or anything else that is sized-up for sale. You may be surprised to find
that a small is just as satisfying as the “super” or “jumbo.” Try to eat slowly and savor the taste
and texture of every bite. An added benefit is that you’ll find yourself saving money as well as
calories.

1 comment:

Johnsons Away said...

Good job on the trip. Was the pizza a normal, red sauce with meat and cheese? You could do a garlic chicken with veggies next time. Those are healthy. And the next time you go to Jack-in-the-box, have their pita it's really good. There are normally healthy oppitions at fast food places.
But sometime, you just want a burger :)