Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Turkey Black bean burgers

I changed this recipe up a bit. We used to eat it with ground beef but last night I tried it with ground turkey and I thought it was awesome.
What you will need:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 egg
1 can black beans
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
one small bunch chopped cilantro
2/3 cups lime juice
2 tomatoes diced
chopped onion seasoning
salt and pepper
Italian seasoning mix

Directions: First I like to throw the peppers in the food processor because it brings out a lot of the liquid. After they are nice and chopped I put them on a paper towel to press out the rest of the liquid. The liquid in the peppers make the meat fall apart. When they are as dry as you can get them mix them together with the ground turkey meat, eggs, salt pepper, chopped onion seasoning, if you want to throw anything else in there like cumin or a little bit of cayenne or chili powder then go for it, it will only make it taste better. Mix together and form into patties. Turkey meat has to be a little thicker if you are going to BBQ or else it falls apart. Broil for 10 minutes or BBQ for....I'm not sure, the husband did that part. Next add the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and mix well creating your black bean topping. I buy whole wheat flat buns for less calories and my husband even toasts them. Put the turkey on the bun, top with turkey and black bean mixture and we even add avocado instead of cheese for some healthy fat. Enjoy!

1 comment: